Did you buy a home in the Atlanta area last year?If you purchased your home last year and have not already done so, remember to file for a Homestead Exemption. This can save you thousands of dollars in property taxes!
While some states provide this exemption automatically, in Georgia a homestead exemption must be applied for. Depending on the county, this can be done online, by fax, by mail or in person. You only have to apply for the exemption once. The exemption remains as long as you reside in the home as your primary residence.
A Homestead Exemption provides more than just a tax break. It also provides two important protections. It prevents the forced sale of a home to meet the demands of creditors and provides the surviving spouse with shelter.
You may file for homestead exemption year round. Deadlines are listed below by county along with a link for a homestead application. Applications received after these deadlines will be processed the following year.
- DEKALB COUNTY* (404-298-4000) – Deadline is April 1st – Apply by mail or online
*If you live in the City of Decatur, you should also apply for homestead exemption on your Decatur city taxes. Deadline is March 1st. Apply online 404-370-4100
- COBB COUNTY (770-528-8600) – Deadline is April 1st – Apply in person or by mail
- FORSYTH COUNTY (770-781-2106) – Deadline is April 1st – Apply in person
- FULTON COUNTY (404-730-6440) – Deadline is April 1st – Apply by mail
- GWINNETT COUNTY (770-822-8800) – Deadline is April 1st – Apply online or by mail